Roasted Cauliflower Soup
One of my all time favorite foods is cauliflower! There could be pizza or a juicy cheeseburger in front of me and I would opt for roasted cauliflower any day of the week! There have been times when I go on a cauliflower diet and I add it to each meal of the day for an extra serving of veggies! I eat it in all forms, raw, steamed, roasted, smashed and in soup! It has a very nutty flavor that is especially enhanced when roasted. So I thought as the weather is feeling more fall everyday, it is the perfect for a roasted cauliflower puree!
I started with this beautiful head of cauliflower from a local farmers market. Notice how the flower isn’t bright white as you would see in a super market? Yellow, green and even purple are totally normal colors for this vegetable so don’t be alarmed!
The key to this soup is roasting to get all the flavors out of the cauliflower. And since this soup will eventually be a puree, it is a good idea to roast it low and slow to make it extra soft. Once cutting down the head into smaller florets, they hit the oven at 325 degrees for about 40 – 45 minutes with a little olive oil, salt and pepper on top.
As the florets were roasting, I started sautéing onion and garlic in a large pot. Onion and garlic are a must, and we all remember how much I love onions. No need to chop too finely, everything will be blended together in the end! Once cauliflower florets were tender, I added to the pot with a box of chicken broth and brought to a rapid boil. The cauliflower needs to be breaking down and falling apart. Then you will be ready to puree!
What’s cauliflower with out some cheese? I added a can of Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese Soup, with milk and shredded gruyere cheese. Finish with more salt and pepper, smoked paprika, thyme, rosemary and a few dashes of hot sauce for a little kick 😉 Now you are ready to puree! I use a hand held one, it is so easy with no mess! But a blender or food processor works just as well! It was so good and filling! Paired with a simple arugula salad and a few pieces of crusty italian bread to dip! Makes for the perfect fall lunch!
Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 box of chicken broth
- 1 can of cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Cut head of flower into florets, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until tender.
- While cauliflower is roasting, sauté together onion, garlic and olive oil. Add florets and box of chicken broth, bring to a boil.
- Once cauliflower is totally broken down, use a hand held puree stick to create the consistency you prefer.
- Add cheese soup, milk and shredded cheese. Bring to simmer.
- Add spices, recover and simmer again. Now soup is ready to eat!
Don’t forget your bread!
Category: Home Feature, Serve
Tags: cauliflower recipes, cauliflower soup, Cook, Cooking, entertaining, fall soup recipe, fall soups, Food, Party Planning, Recipe, recipes, roasted cauliflower puree, Sisters' Soiree, The Sisters' Soiree |
Leave a Note
No Comments »
No comments yet.